Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days

Wow I have not posted for so long. Mainly because last time I tried to (over a year ago), for some reason when I logged in I got the account of this Saudi Arabian 25-year-old. Not sure why.

Well, I've been in Canberra for nearly one and a half years now doing a double degree in Actuary/Commerce at the Australian National University. For posterity's sake (and so I don't forget) I'll quickly make a note of the units I've done in that time.

Microeconomics - distinction
Money Markets and Finance - distinction
Accounting - distinction
Introductory Mathematical Statistics - credit

Macroeconomics - distinction (one mark off a HD! :@ )
Corporate Finance - not worth mentioning
Accounting - credit
Commercial Law - credit (considering i'm not a law student, i was v. pleased with this)

At the moment this semester I'm doing three Stat units simultaneously. That's right. 3 at the same time. The impossible mountain just got higher.
They are:
Regression Modelling (moderately challenging)
Financial Mathematics (my easiest)
Stochastic Modelling (the absolute motherload. Makes the last two seem like high school units.)

On the side I'm taking Marketing as an elective, and I may finally score a HD.

But you may be wondering, what does this post title refer to? It's actually the name of a country song which kind of describes my time. Lazy - my blog title has backing. Hazy - my lectures are so tough to comprehend I just drift through half of them pretending to write notes. Crazy - what I may become after this semester.

It is currently 1.30 in the morning. I have a Regression assignment due in just under 36 hours. I have not started work on this assignment.

That's my problem. There are so many distractions when you live away from home that procrastination becomes more like an art form. For example, I heard about this new series called Prison Break and conveniently enough, just four days before this assignment is due in (ie. two days ago), I started watching it.

I have since gotten through 14 episodes. That's nearly 10 hours down the drain staring at my laptop screen. Don't get me wrong, it's a compelling series, but my abysmal time management skills will bite me in the arse some day. It probably won't be this assignment - it's only worth 5% and is not a very long or difficult assignment - but it may be during an exam period. I can feel it coming, yet I'm doing little to prevent it.

Here's a shout-out to all those med students: just wondering if lack of sleep or sleeping late can cause a tic in the eye? Cause I seem to have come down with one. Or maybe it's just the excessive staring at my laptop screen.

Anyway, the point of this post was just to remind ppl - hell, just to remind myself - that I'm still alive and well over here on the east coast. Next post (hopefully): I'll post some of the more memorable events that happened to me last year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home